Malicious iframes planted on compromised websites pose big problems for Web surfers. Fortunately, Internet Explorer v6 and above includes a feature that can help protect against malicious iframes. But use with caution – there are many legitimate uses for iframes and IE doesn’t distinguish between these.
Time Required: 5 minutes
- Open Internet Explorer, select Tools | Internet Options
- Click the Security tab
- Choose the desired zone (Internet, Local intranet, Trusted sites, or Restricted Sites) and click Custom Level
- Scroll down to Launching programs and files in an IFRAME
- Select Disable to prevent iframes altogether or Prompt if you wish to decide on a site-by-site basis.
- Click OK
- Repeat for each of the desired security zones.
- Click OK to exit the Internet Options menu.