Software Freedom Day (SFD) is a worldwide celebration of Free and Open Source Software (FOSS). Over 500 volunteer groups in over 120 countries all around the world are celebrating the sixth Software Freedom Day this year on September 19.
Software Freedom Day is an annual grass roots effort to educate the public on the virtues of Free/Open Source Software (FOSS) and also to encourage its use. Our goal in this celebration is to educate the worldwide public about of the benefits of using high quality FOSS in education, in government, at home, and in business – in short, everywhere! Free software movement is a philosophical movement which values freedom, collaboration, community and transparency; it benefits the public good and ensures basic human freedoms are strengthened by technology, not hampered.
Our vision is to empower all people to freely connect, create and share in a digital world that is participatory, transparent, and sustainable.
1. To celebrate software freedom and the people behind it.
2. To foster a general understanding of software freedom, and encourage adoption of free software and open standards.
3. To create more equal access to opportunities through the use of participatory technologies.
4. To promote constructive dialogue on responsibilities and rights in the information society.
5. To be inclusive of organizations and individuals that share our Vision.
6. To be pragmatic, transparent, and responsible as an organisation.
In Nepal, Software Freedom Day is being celebrated since 2005. The Free/Open Source Software (FOSS) Community Nepal (FOSS-Nepal) organizes several events to mark this day. Since last two years, FOSS Nepal community was able to bag one of the three global winners of best SFD
event. Our theme for SFD this year is “FOSS for Enterprise” .
FOSS Nepal Community
FOSS Nepal Community (http://fossnepal.org) is established by a team of those enthusiastic people who believe in the usage of Free/Open Source Software. The prime aim of FOSS Nepal community is to promote and diversify the usage of Free/Open Source Software in the country.
How SFD is being celebrated in Nepal?
The Software Freedom Day in Nepal is being marked by a series of events on September 18 and
19, 2009, such as:
• Solidarity Rally (Tinkune-Maitighar) with a “free or freeze” event (our rally will pass through the pavement): 5 PM
• Candlelight vigil at Maitighar Mandala from 6 PM
• Inaugural Session
• Enterprise Demo Session
• Open Help Desk
• Open Space, Open Enterprise Session
• Documentary Session
• Presentation Session
• FOSS Quiz
• Freedom Toaster
• Satasat GB
• Signature Campaign
Please be There
Date: September 19, 2009 (Ashwin 3, 2066)
Time: 10:30 AM – 4:00 PM
Venue: Yala Maya Kendra, Patan Dhoka, Lalitpur
1. Software Freedom Day Official Website, http://www.softwarefreedomday.org
2. Software Freedom Day 2009 — Nepal Website, http://wiki.fossnepal.org/index.php?title=Software_Freedom_Day_2009
3. Concept Note for Software Freedom 2009 — Nepal, http://wiki.fossnepal.org/index.php?title=Concept_Note
TechSansar Team thanks Aakarpost.com for this press release.